Wednesday 19 February 2014

FLG

Fundación Lázaro Galdiano is a museum I came across essentially because I walked past it. Every time - I kid you not, every time - I walked past it, it was closed. Therefore on one of January's puentes (bank holidays) as mentioned in this post, I went there with Helena.

This beautiful setting houses the collection of Lázaro Galdiano, one very devoted collector. The four floors divide up an incredible 2,840 pieces based on themes. 


As the website states, there are thirty major works of art. These include paintings by some of Spain's most important artists: El Greco, Velázquez and Goya.

The piece below is Goya's El entierro de Cristo (The Burial of Christ). Its use of light is stunning, illuminating the holy figure in the pitch black.


And it not only houses art but many works of archaeology, silverware, textiles, and jewellery.


It's actually free at certain times of the day so I'd check that out before going.

With a beautiful front garden, gated off from the hustle and bustle of Serrano and María de Molina, I imagine I'll be going there as soon as the weather warms up to read and enjoy the sun - provided it's open of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment