Friday 26 July 2013

Life on water - Amsterdam

I went to Amsterdam a couple of weeks ago to stay with a friend from Oxford, Izzy. Often tourists take a trip to the city for the liberal outlook on drugs and its red light district but I thought I'd take the next most unoriginal approach to the city (probably joint with cycling) and take photos based on life around, on and through water.

This is the first photo I took on arrival, the world's only floating flower market (Bloemenmarkt) is on the right hand side of the canal.


Some more beautiful views incorporate the unique Dutch architecture and way of life between canals.












The modern is important to in a capital like Amsterdam and below you can see the view of Renzo Piano's science museum from the roof terrace of the enormous public library (definitely worth a visit should you find yourself here).


Water plays a fundamental role in life in Amsterdam in how it contributes to the wealth of greenery. Here are some photos Izzy and I took in the gardens of the Rijksmuseum making the most of the fountains.





To close I leave you with the view by night from the 'I amsterdam' sign.




No comments:

Post a Comment