Monday 13 January 2014

Going solo

I find doing those typical, touristy things alone pretty difficult. I know some really like it, the time to take it all in at your own pace, but I have to say that I very much enjoy discussing what I'm seeing. However, it was a few months ago now but after coffee on Calle de Alcalá with my friend Alex and a wander down to Atocha, I was too close to pass up the opportunity to explore the Reina Sofía despite being by myself at this point - especially since it's free for me as a student.

Here it is, with it's iconic glass lifts.


Unfortunately the weather wasn't very nice so I couldn't make the most of the lovely central patio, but given that I don't have to pay for entry, perhaps I'll go back on a sunny day with a book. Maybe I'll absorb some artistic talent from my surroundings or maybe I'll just look pretentious (uh-oh) - it's fine I am a tourist here after all.


I liked the use of space in the museum. 

Art around every corner.


And very white walls, characteristic of any exhibition of modern art, plain and empty with nothing drawing our attention away from the works.


I have to say it was pretty difficult to navigate the museum. I got a little confused so make sure you get a map or take a look at the one you see as you leave the lift. 
They actually have these innovative pamphlets to guide you around the museum if you haven't opted for a group tour or audio guide. There are five to choose from, each one providing a different outlook with which to see the works on show: Feminismo, Teatro, Arquitectura, Lo poético and El artista en crisis. Here, take a look. I took the Teatro leaflet and set off to find the most famous work housed at the Reina Sofía, Picasso's Guernica.

Apologies for the nature of the photo; in fact I took it before realising that you aren't supposed to take pictures of it and I contemplated not posting it, but the guard did let me get away with it once I said I was sorry so I assume its okay...

It is huge and captivating. The museum was relatively very empty on the afternoon I went, but a crowd stood staring and in silence at such an impressive representation of pain. As the pamphlet actually states, it is probably history's greatest expression of pain in art. Both the animals and women with their outstretched limbs, open mouths and bulging eyes, convey the power of fear and their attempts to cling at life as the bombs are falling on Guernica.


Thoroughly confused by the geography of the place, I found myself leaving through a different way in but snapped a couple pictures on my way out so here you go.


No comments:

Post a Comment