Friday 29 November 2013

Year abroad lessons learnt - take two

So two and a half months in...

1. Loving not having to leave a tip ever, joy of all joys - no, that's not actually sarcastic.

2. Everyone here has a pueblo and come puente (bank holiday), Madrid empties. But it's not a wealth or class thing; having a second home, a village home, is basically the norm here.

3. Macedonia doesn't refer to the country, it means fruit salad. Yes, when I saw it on the menu, I too was confused. I take it that historically it comes from Macedonia, or it's just some weird coincidence.

4. I used to make fun of people who wear sunglasses in winter. Turns out only in England does it look ridiculous, here it's a necessity because even at it's coldest (we've already had snow) Madrid is still always blindingly sunny.

5. Fanta limón is definitely missing from the British beverage market. It's one I'll miss on coming home. Especially for mixing copas, a typical girl's drink going out here is not 'vodka cranberry' but 'vodka limón'.

6. I will never understand the oh so popular yogurts here that you open up to find a semi-solid gelatine with water on top. I will not mix my own yogurt. This should be done for me. Get on it Spain.

7. Working at a school I'm weirdly up to date with what's cool for kids. Rolling school bags seem to be a thing... who needs a Easyjet allowance sized wheeling suitcase for the one book they bring to class? Confused.

8. Shower gel containers are always at least 500ml. Finding a normal sized bottle is strangely impossible. They last you for months though (while taking up half the space in your shower).

9. Here drinks are served in these goblet cups at bars. I feel like Harry Potter or a royal every time I go out for a vodka limón (see 5).

10. Little old man happy in the company of his tiny weeny chihuahua, you make my day every day when I walk past you on my way home. Below is the only photo I have of him.



No comments:

Post a Comment