Thursday 5 September 2013

California girl

Having returned from the Golden State a while ago now, this post is long overdue. I had an incredible three weeks across the pond with my family and boyfriend. Our house is in South Pasadena (Los Angeles) but we road-tripped it up to Cambria and Monterey, as well as down to San Diego.
There are far too many photos for one blog post so I thought I would attempt to restrain myself to just showing you my favourites for starters. Over these next few days as I pack for Madrid (yikes), I will also post on some extra special places which you have to visit if you find yourself out there.

Well, number one is the Rialto theatre in South Pasadena, just a short walk away from my house, I think it's a real shame that it's no longer in use. My has so many memories of seeing double features here with her childhood friends.


The Mission in Santa Barbara. Expression wherever you looked,



including chalk art in the courtyard.


Cambria views.



Stopping for sea lions.

 Exploring Monterey.



Where you can eat dinner listing to the seals.



This is one of my favourites - yes mine (Finding Nemo for those uneducated readers out there... seriously stop reading this and watch it right now).


Patterns in the kelp bed.

 And of course the characteristic California coast fog blows in.


This is the Mission of San Diego. Do research the 23 missions, as the history of the Spanish in California is extremely interesting (this should help). 
This particular one was much quieter than the one in Santa Barbara but no less beautiful. I liked the feel of humility and the whitewash reminded me of the house and Rebeca in One Hundred Years of Solitude (a must-read). I hope to be able to go back.


Old town San Diego has a strange feel to it. Slightly artificial and put-on with all of its tourist attractions but I did like the Western meets Mexico vibe and here are some of my favourite photos.

An original plant hanging basket.



We stayed on Coronado in San Diego and while on the beach, planes would fly overhead almost every ten minutes. A constant reminder of the military base that takes up a large part of peninsula.

While there watch Some like it hot with Marilyn Monroe.


Back in LA we were lucky enough to see the Dodgers win with a home run to boot. I couldn't help taking a last snap of the sun setting on the stadium.






No comments:

Post a Comment